Resources for CEOs and council officers
Governance policy templates
- Model meeting procedures (minimum standards) (PDF, 495KB)
- Best practice meeting standing orders (optional meeting standards) (DOC, 265KB)
- Example investigation policy (DOC, 183KB)
- Supporting information for developing administrative support guidelines (PDF, 216KB)
- Sample position description for councillor advisors (DOC, 267KB)
- Annual report checklist (PDF, 117KB)
- Budget checklist (PDF, 87KB)
- Rates checkist (PDF, 150KB)
- Planning, financial management and accountability checklist (DOC, 107KB)
- Policies, registers and publication checklist (PDF, 173KB)
- Investment Policy Guidelines (PDF, 309KB)
- Setting rates and charges
- Financial Management (Sustainability) Guideline 2013 (PDF, 745KB)
- Annual financial reporting
- Local government borrowing program
- Local government financial arrangements
Tropical financial statements
To assist local governments, the department prepares a set of illustrative annual financial statements each year. These statements are commonly referred to as ‘Tropical’ and are updated each year to reflect new and amended Australian Accounting Standards and other relevant legislative requirements.
View forms and certificates for the below matters approved by the Director-General of the department for use under the relevant provisions of the Local Government Act 2009 and the City of Brisbane Act 2010 and associated regulations.
- Register of interest forms
- General purpose financial certificates
- Orders to enter property
- Warrants to enter property
Local laws information and database
View information about key legislative requirements and tips for local law makers, as well as model local laws and a database of all local laws from councils across Queensland.
Community grants portal
The Grants to Local Government Model is a simple, adaptable and coordinated model making it easier for councils to apply for grants, deliver projects and report on progress. The model means councils can focus on delivering important infrastructure, boosting jobs and increasing liveability for their communities.
Other website information
- Local government legislation and reform
- Discretionary funds fact sheet (PDF, 91KB)
- Caretaker period legislation
- Councillor code of conduct
- Administrative support staff and councillor advisors
- Councillor remuneration
- Online councillor training
For more information, contact your nearest regional office.
Last updated: Tuesday, Jan 5, 2021