Taking care of rates

Councils need to charge rates to raise revenue so they can provide services and infrastructure to their communities. Each year, as part of the budget process, councils decide the rates and charges for the financial year. The level of rates that landowners must pay is at the sole discretion of their council.

How do councils control rates?

Councils carry out the following processes to help determine what level of rates to charge:

To find out more about how your council levies rates and charges, contact your council directly.

Types of rates and charges

Councils must levy a general or differential general rate on all rateable land. However, councils have considerable flexibility in calculating the rates they choose to adopt.

General rate

Differential general rate

Minimum general rate

Separate rate or charge

Special rate or charge

Utility charge

State charge

How valuation changes affect rates

It is not the valuation that determines the amount of the general rate or differential general rate you pay, it is determined by the 'rate' (or cents per dollar) which a council applies to that valuation. If you live in a townhouse or unit complex, the council will levy your general or differential general rate on the portion of the valuation allocated according to your interest schedule of lot entitlement or, alternatively, you may be charged the minimum general rate set by council.

Making a complaint about a rates notice

To make a complaint about your rates notice, you must contact your council directly.

Council budgets

Councils are required to adopt a budget for each financial year. In normal circumstances, the budget is adopted after 31 May and before 1 August each year. The annual budget must be consistent with the aims and direction of the council's corporate plan, its revenue policy and annual operational plan.

Revenue sources

There are six main ways that local governments raise money to provide infrastructure and services to communities:

Councils are required to document the processes used to raise revenue. These documents are publicly available and include the corporate plan, operational plan, revenue policy, revenue statement and budget. To view any of these documents contact your council or visit their website.