The Queensland Government is delivering a rolling reform agenda to strengthen the transparency, accountability and integrity measures that apply to the system of local government and elections in Queensland.
Following consultation with the local government sector, the Electoral and Other Legislation (Accountability, Integrity and Other Matters) Amendment Act 2020 (the Act) was passed by the Queensland Legislative Assembly on 18 June 2020 and received assent on 30 June 2020. The Act includes amendments relating to state elections, Ministerial conduct and conduct in local government.
Objectives of the local government amendments include:
- responding to feedback from the local government sector on conflict of interest requirements and registers of interests
- reforms to align local government with requirements applying to state Members of Parliament.
Details of the changes
Local government reforms include:
- new register of interest provisions (in effect 12 October 2020)
- new and clarified conflict of interest requirements (in effect 12 October 2020)
- a system for regulating political advisors (in effect 12 October 2020)
- the requirement for councils to develop guidelines about councillor administration support staff (in effect 12 October 2020)
- provisions relating to the dissolution of a local government and administrators (now in effect)
- changes for filling councillor and mayor vacancies (in effect 12 October 2020).
In addition to the Amendment Act, there were also a number of regulatory amendments required (see information paper below).
Read the updated Accountability and Integrity Bill information paper (PDF, 962KB) for a detailed summary of local government reforms in the Amendment Act and supporting Regulation amendments.
1-minute feedback survey
Did you find the information you were looking for?
Complete the survey to give us feedback about the information on this page or extra information you think this page could include.
For more information
The department aims to respond to any questions within two business days.