As part of promoting inclusive and harmonious communities under the priorities of the Queensland Multicultural Policy, the Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs has now released the new Search Diversity Queensland interactive tool.
Search Diversity Queensland is an easy to use online tool that contains data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics 2016 Census of Population and Housing, and features:
- Easy to understand statistical information about Queensland’s cultural diversity.
- Ability to explore various aspects of Local Government Areas (LGAs) including ancestry, birthplace, religion and language.
- An interactive map outlining LGAs and state electorates.
- Ability to export profile reports in a range of different formats for more detailed information.
- Ability to explore age distributions, family compositions and other socioeconomic indicators.
Through easier access to diversity information, we can get a better understanding of who we are as Queenslanders and harness the remarkable benefits cultural diversity offers, which is crucial to planning for the future of our cities, towns and regions.
Diversity Figures snapshot and report
In addition to the Search Diversity Queensland interactive search tool, the Queensland Government compiled the Diversity Figures Snapshot and accompanying Diversity Figures report to illustrate the unique features of our diverse population.
The report and snapshot brings together core demographic and diversity data from the ABS 2016 Census of Population and Housing.
There are several social and cultural characteristics featured in the Diversity Figures including:
- country of birth of overseas born people in Queensland
- geographic distribution of Queensland’s diverse population
- language spoken other than English, and English proficiency
- religious affiliation and ancestry of Queensland’s population
- education and employment characteristics.